Pre-Operative Instructions: General
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for 8 hours before the appointment. For morning surgery, no food or liquids after midnight the night before surgery.
- Please ensure you have registered on our website at upstateoralsurgery.com. This will reduce the amount of time for paperwork on the day of your procedure.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your appointment time to finalize registration.
- No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- Plan to rest for the remainder of the surgery day. The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
- Please wear loose-fitting clothing with short sleeves and low-heeled shoes.
- You must remove contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, or stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office as soon as possible.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with your doctor before your surgical date for instructions.
- The use of alcohol or recreational drugs can adversely affect the anesthesia medications that we use. Please discontinue the use of such for at least 72 hours before your procedure.
- If your doctor prescribed medications for you, please follow the instructions for their use closely.
- If you suspect you are pregnant, please notify our office as soon as possible.
Women, please note: Some antibiotics may interfere with the effectiveness of your birth control pills. Please check with your pharmacist.